The Honda CRV (5) is a C-segment (6) SUV produced by Japanese automaker Honda (7). The CRV (or CR-V), whose initials stand for “Comfortable Runabout Vehicle” spans five generations (10), launched respectively in many different iterations (8) and countries (9), which share structural elements with different generations of the Honda Civic (11) (12), a passenger car (13). It is a five-door, five-seater available with front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive (14). RVers are interested to know the Honda CRV towing capacity (1), an important manufacturer specification (4) to discover which RV types could be safely (3) pulled with this vehicle (2).
Honda CRV Towing Capacity is 1,500 lbs, which is suitable only to tow lightweight campers such as light teardrop trailers, stand-up trailers, bumper pulls, and horse trailers.
|HONDA CRV TOWING CAPACITY TABLE||LX||EX||EX-L||Touring|
|Towing Capacity:||1,500 lbs.||1,500 lbs.||1,500 lbs.||1,500 lbs.|
|Unladen Vehicle Weight:||3,347 lbs.||3,378 lbs.||3,397 lbs.||3,597 lbs.|
Every trim has the same numbers. Whether you get an LX, EX, EX-L, or Touring variant, your Honda CR-V towing capacity will be 1,500 pounds.
|Honda CR-V Trims||LX||EX||EX-L||Touring|
|Real Time AWD with Intelligent Control System™||Available||Available||Available||Available|
|Honda CRV Towing Capacity||1,500 lbs||1,500 lbs||1,500 lbs||1,500 lbs|
|Engine w/ Horsepower||1.5-liter Turbocharged with 190 HP||1.5-liter Turbocharged with 190 HP||1.5-liter Turbocharged with 190 HP||1.5-liter Turbocharged with 190 HP|
|Fuel Economy* (AWD; City/Hwy/Combined)||27/32/29||27/32/29||27/32/29||27/32/29|
*Based on 2021 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, and other factors.
Honda CRV towing capacity is very low. Therefore, most RV owners are advised to search for vehicles with a higher towing capacity.
If RVers want to pull all travel trailers and some lightweight fifth-wheels. In this case, we would recommend a Toyota Tundra, that can get that job done, at a reasonable price and with a good quality towing vehicle.
1,500 lbs. isn’t a range that gives you a lot of room for choosing an RV afterwards. That is why RVers first buy the rig and then we search for an adequate towing vehicle!
What is the towing capacity of A Honda CRV?
The Honda CRV provides a towing capacity that maxes out at 1,500 pounds as well as a payload capacity of 1,106 pounds.
|Honda Models||Honda CRV Towing Capacity (pounds)||Payload Capacity (pounds)|
|2022 Honda CRV||1,500||1,106|
|2021 Honda CRV||1,500||1,106|
|2020 Honda CRV||1,500||1,106|
|2019 Honda CRV||1,500||1,388|
|2018 Honda CRV||1,500||1,106|
|2017 Honda CRV||1,500||1,106|
|2016 Honda CRV||1,500||1,027|
|2015 Honda CRV||1,500||1,012|
|2014 Honda CRV||1,500||850|
|2013 Honda CRV||1,500||850|
|2012 Honda CRV||1,500||850|
|2011 Honda CRV||1,500||385|
|2010 Honda CRV||1,500||385|
|2009 Honda CRV||1,500||385|
|2008 Honda CRV||1,500||385|
|2007 Honda CRV||1,500||385|
|2006 Honda CRV||1,500||956|
|2005 Honda CRV||1,500||956|
|2004 Honda CRV||1,500||973|
|2003 Honda CRV||1,500||933|
Honda CRV Cargo Space
To complement the Honda CR-V towing package, the CR-V interior provides more storage space than competitors in its class as well as split-folding seats, allowing you to adapt your cargo capacity to ever-changing needs. So, let´s see the Honda CR-V cargo volume:
- Cargo Volume Behind 1st Row: 75.8 cubic feet
- Cargo Volume Behind 2nd Row: 39.2 cubic feet
Honda CRV Tow Package and Features
Despite the low Honda CRV towing capacity, you can still be interested if you want to pull a MyPod small RV from Go Little Guy, or a very small teardrop trailer.
The Honda CRV tow package features Hill Start Assist, Real-Time AWD assistance, and a vehicle stability assistant, allowing less sway during the towing process. Nevertheless, while the Honda CRV tow package will allow us to tow easier and safer, they do not increment the Honda CRV towing capacity that will stand at 1,500 lbs.
Check Honda dealers that include a regular trailer hitch attached. If you are looking to tow bigger items, dealers recommend getting the available trailer hitch with Power Tailgate Hands-Free Access Adapter.
Honda CRV Towing Package includes a receiver-style Honda CR-V tow hitch, a drawbar, a clip, and a hitch harness. The Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with Traction Control will help RVers maintain traction on slippery roads and avoid lateral sway.
Furthermore, standard Brake Assist will help you avoid collisions by automatically providing full brake pressure when needed, and standard Hill Start Assist will help RVers roll back on a hill.
Want more to get the most out of your Honda CR-V towing capacity? Get a CR-V with Real-Time AWD with Intelligent Control System™. This AWD allows the vehicle to properly distribute torque, giving you a stronger performance. You can also opt for Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with Traction Control, which helps you maintain traction on slippery roads. Honda makes it easy for you to stay safe, whether you are towing or not. Make sure you take advantage of these fantastic features.
You can be interested in the towing package that assists owners when towing. Honda CRV towing package can utilize all the superior advantages of this Honda SUV. Opt for a standard Honda CRV tow hitch, or upgrade to the Power Tailgate Hands-Free Access Adapter for even more support.
These are the most important features of the towing package.
- Hill Start Assist: Helps avoid roll back when moving your foot from the brake to the gas pedal on a hill.
- Real-Time AWD with Intelligent Control System™: Distributes torque for more efficient and stronger performance, no matter the road conditions.
- Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with Traction Control: Assists in handling and maintaining traction on slippery roads.
- Brake Assist: Applies full brake pressure to avoid an accident.
What Can The Honda CRV Tow?
Just as good as informing the correct Honda CRV towing capacity is to briefly refer to the recreational vehicles that can be safely towed with a Honda CRV:
You can tow
- Pop-up campers such as the Sylvansport GO with an Unladen Vehicle Weight: 840 lbs and a Hitch Weight of 85 lbs.
- A snowmobile.
- Stand-up trailers such as the MeerKat with an Unladen Vehicle Weight of 900 lbs and a Hitch Weight of 100 lbs.
- A jet ski
- A teardrop camper such as the MyPod with an unladen Vehicle Weight: 630 lbs and a Hitch Weight: 110 lbs
- An ATV
- A bumper pull
- A single-axle trailer
Conclusions Regarding The Study Of The Honda CRV Towing Capacity
With disregard of our criticism for the very low Honda CRV towing capacity, typical of an SUV, but atypical for RVers requirements, we have to recognize that this is one of the best-selling SUVs.
Features like Hands-Free Access Power Tailgate and 60/40 Split Rear Seating can accommodate whatever or whoever you are taking with you.
Plus with Leather-Trimmed Seats, Dual-Zone Automatic Climate Control, and Heated Front Seats it’s easy to keep everyone comfortable.
The CRV is an incredibly adaptable SUV, thanks to its standard 190 horsepower turbocharged engine and available Real Time All-Wheel Drive.
The Honda CRV towing capacity of 1,500 lbs, as we explained is only appropriate for RV beginners and ideal for pop-up tent trailers or utility trailers with jet skis, horse trailers, or snowmobiles.
Low towing capacity but a very good towing package. This will make towing easier and safer as these towing packages avoid lateral sway, provided that you can stay within the low Honda CRV towing capacity and only require to pull a small rig.
Sources And References
- “2021 Honda CR-V: America’s Most Popular CUV Gets New U.S.-Built Hybrid-Electric Version, Standard Honda Sensing® and Freshened Styling” (Press release). American Honda Motor Company. 18 September 2019.
- “2021 CR-V Specifications and Features”. Honda Automobiles. Retrieved 23 July 2020.
- Ansari, Usman (18 October 2019). “All New Honda Breeze Launched in China”. CarSpiritPK. Retrieved 31 December 2019.
- Oldham, Scott; Sutton, Mike (9 June 2020). “Tested: 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Can’t Match the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid’s Fuel Economy”. Car and Driver.
- “2017 Honda CR-V SUV AWD”. NHTSA. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- “Official Honda CR-V 2019 safety rating”. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- “Honda 2020 Digital FactBook”. Honda North America. Retrieved 20 January 2021. “Honda CR-V Sales Figures”. GCBC. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- “Honda CR-V European sales figures”. carsalesbase.com. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- “Masuk » Indonesian Automobile Industry Data”. files.gaikindo.or.id.
- “Honda CR-V auto sales figures”.
- “Honda Breeze auto sales figures”. carsalesbase.com. 18 December 2019. Retrieved 10 February 2021.